Distance Education Standards
Associations should develop evaluative criteria for both blended schools (face-to-face instruction and distance education) and virtual schools (all distance education – no brick and mortar).
Emphasis on the quality of student-teacher interaction, effectiveness of tools used to deliver subject matter, and clear carefully developed curricula remain at the heart of distance learning as they are at the heart of all learning. These standards are set to achieve these essential goals.
The Six Standards are…
1. Vision, Purpose, and Mission – Quality schools have a mission statement that clearly defines the distinctive vision and purpose of the institution.
2. Governance – The school provides governance and organizational structure that supports the school in fulfilling its mission.
3. Curriculum: Teaching and Learning – Quality online education is dependent on many essential factors such as:
a) Quality curriculum design
b) Imaginative, engaged, and qualified staff
c) A comprehensive delivery system agent
4. Faculty Support – Since faculty is essential to quality online education, investment in human resources and faculty support is fundamental to the goal of quality student learning.
5. Student Services – The school has the resources and services necessary to help students succeed in a distance learning environment.
6. Evaluation and Assessment – The school establishes, implements, and monitors a continuous process of improvement that focuses on student learning and achievement.
Select the NCPSA Distance Education Standards link for more information on these standards and related indicators.